Monday, September 14, 2015

Favorite Books

Twitter has been an invaluable link to writers, artists, and musicians. I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the various works and links to stories. Technology has offered us a unique way to share our gifts.

One of my favorites on Twitter is "The Writing Reader'. She offers good stories, great tips and interesting writing prompts for her readers. I have journaled several but decided to blog on the most recent prompt- "Write about your favorite books and why they are your favorite"

One of my favorite series was given to me as a young teen; the "Love Comes Softly" series written by Janette Oke. There are eight books, set in pioneer days. It follows the life and times of a young woman who is widowed while on the wagon train heading west. 

I love the detail and emotion Mrs. Oke invokes to bring her characters alive. You find yourself celebrating and grieving as the story winds itself into your heart. I have read through the series at least once a year since I was 13. There is something comfortable about reading it every year, like a blanket from your childhood. It's familiar, it's interesting and I still enjoy the adventures of the Davis family.

If you have never read Janette Oke, I encourage you to give it a try. While I have several authors, and books, that I enjoy, this is my favorite. 

No comments: