Slice bratwurst into 1 to 2 inch slices
chop the onion, peel and chop a medium Granny Smith apple
Saute onion and apple in bacon drippings....
add the sauce and the bratwurst back to the skillet for about 10 minutes
then add the hashbrowns and sauerkraut
cook for 10-12 minutes
Serve with bacon crumbled over the top and a side of steamed carrots
Bavarian Bratwurst Supper from Tasteofhome.com
· 4 bacon strips, diced
· 4 fresh bratwurst links, cut into 2-inch pieces
· 1 medium tart apple, chopped
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1/2 cup cider vinegar
· 03 tablespoons brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon pepper
· 4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
· 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian-style sauerkraut, drained
· In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, cook and stir bratwurst for 10-12 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute apple and onion in drippings until lightly browned.
· Add the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, salt, pepper and bratwurst. Cover and cook for 12 minutes or until bratwurst are no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°, stirring frequently.
· Add potatoes and sauerkraut; cook and stir 12 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.