Everyone at my house has a favorite meal and or dessert that they request at least once a month. Dylan's is chocolate chip cookies or any kind of dessert really..lol! Grace loves pumpkin bread, chocolate chess pie, deviled eggs and her favorite main meal is my own Spanish chicken recipe. Cal loves everything but even he has "favorites" : key lime pie, rice pudding, chicken spareribs....actually the list goes on.....I am very lucky to have a hubby who will try anything!
Now a couple of weeks ago Papaw and Mamaw came to visit. We watched Grace play soccer and then headed back home for a home-cooked meal. Harvest Pork roast, whipped potatoes, roasted baby carrots, salad and the finish....Upside Down Apple Pie. This was my first go at it and it has already taken first place in MY favorites :)
If you need something to "wow" someone with, I recommend this delicious pie:
(I needed a large platter and the biggest one I have is the snowman plate...gonna have to correct that;) )
Yes, those are pecans.....oh my goodness!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup shortening, cubed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cover and pulse until blended. Add butter and shortening; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Coat a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides of plate with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter; stir in pecans. Arrange in the bottom of prepared pie plate with rounded sides of pecans facing down.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit bottom and sides of pie plate. Transfer to plate; press the crust firmly against pecans and sides of pie plate. Trim edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Add apples; toss to coat. Fill crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim and seal edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Place a foil-lined baking sheet on a rack below the pie to catch any spills. Bake pie at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully loosen the parchment paper around edge of pie; invert hot pie onto a serving plate. Remove paper. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
*************I cheated and used Pillsbury's refrigerated pie crust*******************************************