Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chicken, Anyone?

Last week I caught the bug, the "have to try new recipes" bug. It is fun to experiment and make notes of what to add next time and what to omit. Maybe it's just me. But I enjoy cooking like some people enjoy scrapbooking......

Mushrooms- I like the flavor they bring, but I do not like to eat them, what's more is I will not chop them up! They are squishy and it gives me the willies! (lol) I usually buy them pre-sliced, but they didn't have any this time. Cal was on mushroom chopping duty!

Garlic - no recipe is complete with out some garlic. This recipe called for a lot of it and I was very excited about that! There are recipes that I add minced garlic to or just garlic powder, but it needs to be in there!
This is my new friend, balsamic vinegar is a tasty addition to my pantry. There are many fun things to do with it. One of our favorites is to slice big, ripe tomatoes up, top with fresh mozzarella (not the solid block, but the absolutely fresh kind that is soft), some sea salt and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. let it hang out a minute in the refrigerator and voila! You have a tomato mozzarella salad that is divine!


Here is the chicken doing it's thing! Isn't that pretty?


chicken is removed for the sauce to finish up....
Served with Stuffing and broccoli...yummy! (next time I will serve with rice, instead of stuffing)
You'll notice onion in the pan, but not in the recipe. I love onion and I thought this dish need it. It was great! And next time I will use boneless chicken thighs, rather than chicken breasts.
Have a great day!
Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Vinegar and Garlic
4 servings
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon butter
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms and pat dry. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat and saute the chicken until it is nicely browned on one side (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic. Turn the chicken breasts and scatter the mushrooms over them. Continue frying, shaking the skillet and stirring the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the vinegar, broth, bay leaf and thyme. Cover tightly and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer the chicken to a warm serving platter and cover with foil. Set aside. Continue simmering the sauce, uncovered, over medium high heat for about 7 minutes. Swirl in the butter or margarine and discard the bay leaf. Pour this mushroom sauce mixture over the chicken and serve.

1 comment:

Ovonia Red said...

What a nice blog! Keep posting recipes (and pictures). I will try something one day and let you know how it goes. I've recently been on a stuffed pepper kick, and a friend game me some of her chili powder (it is next to impossible to find down here--the food here is generally a bit bland), so I'm going to make some chili soon. Oh, and I need to make some pasta sauce so I can have some zucchini lasagna... I love having an oven.