Monday, March 30, 2009

Cookin' Mama

Yes, the Wii game Cookin' Mama is fun, but I am referring to me. I cooked alot this weeekend!
The snow inspired me I think :)
Here are the lovely spinach leaves and onion...waiting to be chopped.....

this was filling my kitchen up with wonderful aromas....

boil, pasta, boil!!

ahhhhhh...the secret is in the sauce....


Too good...next time I will add more cheese to the sauce and some minced garlic to the spinach/onion saute....and a bit more salt
Try it! It is a wonderful comfort food! Let me know what you think about it!

I found this on Barilla's website
Baked Elbows with Fontina Cheese and Spinach
Ease of preparation: average
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4-6
Regions: Valle D'Aosta
4 cups milk
1 stick (4 ounces) butter
1/2 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
to taste salt
to taste white pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup small onion, chopped
1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 box (16 ounces) BARILLA Elbows

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.Bechamel Sauce:HEAT milk until hot in a small saucepan. In a separate ssmall saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour with a wire whip and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.ADD hot milk gradually to butter and flour mixture, mixing with a wire whip until smooth and thickened. ADD beaten egg, two-thirds of the cheese salt and pepper. Mix until cheese is melted; set aside.HEAT olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. ADD onions and spinach. Saute 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Add spinach to bechemel sauce and set aside.COOK pasta for 4 minutes. Drain and add to bechemel sauce; mix well. POUR into a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving
Tomorrow I will post about the chicken I made....yummy!

No comments: